Thursday, June 18, 2015

I Spy Quilt - Handmade Baby/Child/Crib Quilt - Wall Hanging - Playmat - Wall Art - aka Eye Spy

I Spy quilts are bright, colorful, fun and educational. These quilts contain a collection of novelty prints that encourage kids to look for things or play "I Spy." If you have a lot of whimsical novelty prints, you might have a good start to make one of these quilts. Pre-cut packs of fabric are for sale online. You will probably want to fussy cut many of your fabrics.

Quilt #1 - The quilt below contains 100 different novelty prints. I cut 5" squares and arranged them 10 down by 10 across.


3 close-up photos:




I needed a wider piece of fabric for the backing than the single length of fabric I purchased. Instead of buying another length of the light blue clouds, I added width by adding a strip of scraps down the middle. By using the strip, I saved $15.00 in backing fabric (of coarse there would be scraps leftover and that's the last thing I need!) Most importantly, adding fabrics to the back will add interest to your quilt.


Quilt #2 - This quilt contains 73 different prints. The squares were cut 5" x 5".


2 close-up views:


Back of quilt. As in the previous quilt, I saved money by adding a strip of scraps down one side.


Quilt #3 - This quilt finished with a whopping 144 different squares, each measuring 4.5" before sewing. Before I started this quilt, I decided it would be my last I Spy project. I sewed the squares together in groups of 9. I planned to make the quilt 3 rows down and 3 across. But the finished size of 4" squares made for a quilt that was too small. I don't know how it happened, but I eventually expanded to the finished size of 4 rows down and 4 across. I knew I would never make another one after finishing this project!



I gave this quilt to my doctor, who is always there when I need him. The back was a large piece of Cars (the movie) flannel and it was the perfect backing for a little boy.



No comments:

Post a Comment